27 September 2009

Healthy Living: Portion Sizes


As my best friend & I attempt to be healthier, the biggest thing we are trying to focus on is eating better. Now, doing this is not so hard if you have the motivation, but I've come to realize that there are a lot of factors working against us. The worst factor is what we've been trained to see as the right portion size.


What we are served at restaurants is no where near the right portion size. But that's what we are used to seeing & that's what we think is right. So along with eating healthier, I'm going to try my hardest to drastically adjust my portion sizes. According to this article , the following is what we should visualize to know what the right portion is:








Healthy Serving Size

Healthy Serving Size
3 ounces lean meat, chicken, or fish;
=
A deck of cards
1.5 ounces of cheese
=
4 playing dice
Baked potato
=
Your fist
1/2 cup of ice cream/frozen yogurt
=
1/2 tennis ball
1 pancake
=
A compact disc (CD)
1/2 of a 3-inch bagel
=
A can of tuna




A pancake the size of a CD??? I've never seen that at IHOP.

If you find yourself struggling to stay on a diet or control what you are eating (like me) try simply adjusting your portion sizes to start with. I'm a strong believer in the fact that you will be able to stick to a health/fitness plan if your ease yourself into it. Maybe some people can handle going full force into a strict diet & exercise routine, but my guess is not most people. The article also gives you a bonus to think about: "Opting for reasonable portions allows you to eat the foods you enjoy and still take off pounds." I could be wrong, but that seems like an easier start than heading right into a strict diet!

If this is something you're interested in, please check out the article here . It's very informative. Also, let me know your thoughts on this. I'm going to attempt to be good with my portions & I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment